I. Diagnostics and therapy planning
The costs for the first visit and the diagnostics up to the therapy decision are paid for by the German health insurance funds.
II. Drug-based treatment of infertility – hormone therapy
The costs for hormone therapies are usually paid for by the health insurance.
Hormone therapy aims to stimulate oocyte maturation and/or trigger ovulation. This increases the chances of fertilisation during subsequent natural intercourse. Follicular growth can be stimulated using clomifene or gonadotrophins (FSH, hMG). We will then either wait for the natural ovulation or trigger it by administering hCG (human chorionic gonadotrophin). The advantage of triggering the ovulation is that we can determine what is the best time for intercourse.
III. Reproductive therapies: Insemination, IVF, ICSI
In order to make sure no financial or burocratic hurdles stand in the way of your wish to have a child, we would be pleased to advise you and help with any problems you may have with your health insurance. You can also pay by instalments. Please do not hesitate to contact us for help.
Billing hotline: 06221-89-300-38
German statutory health insurance
The statutory health insurance funds will bear 50% of the costs.
The number of treatment attempts is limited to:
- 8 inseminations without stimulation (but if necessary with clomifene)
- 3 insemination cycles with hormonal stimulation (e.g. Gonal F, Puregon, Menogon)
- 3 IVF cycles
- 3 ICSI cycles
Conditions for the statutory health insurance paying 50 % of the costs :
- The couple must be married.
- The woman must be at least 25 and no more than 39 years old.
- The man must be at least 25 and no more than 49 years old.
- Before starting therapy, the therapy plan must be approved by the insurance companies of both partners.
- If one of the three attempts which are usually paid for by the health insurance fund leads to a clinically proven pregnancy, the couple is entitled to a further therapy attempt.
- If one of the partners has been sterilised, the couple is not entitled to have their artificial fertilisation treatments paid for by the health insurance fund.
- The cryopreservation of sperm cells, impregnated egg cells or embryos is not paid for by the statutory health insurance funds. The same applies to services such as assisted hatching and blastocyst transfer.
|Service||Medical treatment woman**||Drugs*||Anaesthesia||Medical treatment man**|
|Natural-cycle insemination||70 – 80||0 – 50||—||27|
|Stimulated insemination||80 – 90||200 – 400||—||27|
|IVF therapy||600||750 – 1100||90||27|
|ICSI therapy||800||750 – 1100||90||27|
* approx. € figures; drug costs are averages and may vary widely
** incl. statutory infectious serology for male and female partner
Private health insurance
The private health insurance companies have very diverse contractual terms. If one partner is covered by the statutory insurance and the other is privately insured, the two companies have to talk to each other. In any event, it should be clarified before the treatment which of the artificial fertilisation measures, if any, will be paid for/reimbursed. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any problems/queries.